Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

Roach eased out at Thatcham

Malcolm Howe



Neville Roach
[caption id="attachment_41933" align="alignleft" width="345" caption="Neville Roach 'on gardening leave'"][/caption]THATCHAM TOWN have parted company with manager Neville Roach in the wake of the club’s 6-0 home beating by neighbours Hungerford in the Red Insure League Cup in midweek. Roach, who joined the club from Hartley Wintney in the close season, has been placed on “gardening leave” and his number two Scott Tarr was in charge for Saturday’s Evo Stik League Southern game with Daventry Town at Waterside Park. But there was no immediate change in fortunes for Thatcham, who went down 4-0 to the new league leaders and they remain second to bottom in the Division One Central table. Daventry led at the break with a goal form Neil King and Scott Cross added a second after 57 minutes before he and Danny Edmonds scored twice in the final 20 minutes to add to Thatcham’s woes. Hungerford maintained their second place in Division One South and West with a 2-1 win over Paulton Rovers at Bulpit Lane, despite the final, quarter with 10 men after Bradley Gray was sent off. Marcus Mapstone headed Trovers into a third minute lead but Luke Hopper netted a clinical equaliser and Tom Fila headed what was to be the winner three minutes after the break. Table-toppers Poole Town suffered their first defeat of the seasons when crashing 4-0 at North Leigh to leave only three points between the teams when they meet at Poole on Tuesday night. Newbury’s new manager Dave Tuttle saw his new charges go down 3-2 at home to Wantage Town in the Hellenic League on Friday night. Wantage netted three times in a six minute spell in the first half through Sam Parish, Richard Claydon and Mark Threlfall before Newbury clawed it back with goals from Ray Spence and Barry Elmore prior to the interval but they could not complete the revival after the break.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000