Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

The Princess of Wales, orginally from Bucklebury, has cancer





The Princess of Wales has announced today (Friday) she is in the early stages of treatment for cancer.

Kate, 42, originally from Bucklebury and who went to school in Pangbourne, had abdominal surgery in January and tests after the operation found the cancer.

The Princess of Wales in her televised statement announcing she has cancer
The Princess of Wales in her televised statement announcing she has cancer

The statement, issued at 6pm, said: “I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you, personally, for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I have been recovering from surgery.

“It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family, but I've had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful.

In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful.

“However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment.

“This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family.

“As you can imagine, this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment.

“But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok.

“As I have said to them; I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits.

“Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too. As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both.

“We hope that you will understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment. My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery.

“At this time, I am also thinking of all those whose lives have been affected by cancer. For everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope. You are not alone.

"However tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."

It is understood the chemotherapy treatment began in late February.

Buckingham Palace also said Prince William's absence from a memorial service in late February was because of Catherine's cancer.

There had been wild rumours on social media about Kate’s health since her operation in January.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More