Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Callum calls the shot for Crusaders

More news, no ads


Opening cracker sets up first home success

Luke Williams slips past Luke Purnell only to be hauled up for offside
Luke Williams slips past Luke Purnell only to be hauled up for offside

Hungerford Town 2 Weston-Super-Mare 0

CALLUM Willmoth struck a stunning goal that steered Hungerford to an opening home win of the new Vanarama National League South campaign on Monday night.

Willmoth struck on the stroke of half-time for his first Hungerford goal, midfield partner Luke Williams claiming a second shortly after the re-start to leave Hungerford seeing out time to complete a second successive clean sheet.

Archie Collins’ early warning effort for Weston was shaken off as Hungerford had the better of the first period, having a goal disallowed when new boy Stephane Gnamvoulou was caught offside from a Williams free kick before the ball went in off Jake Lee.

Stefan Brown headed wide from a good chance and goalkeeper Luke Purnell saved well from Louis Soares before before Ashley Kington blocked a Brown shot on the line amid shouts for handball.

Willmoth game-changer came when he collected the ball from Rhys Tyler and let fly with a dipping shot that gave Purnell no chance, and when Williams’ free kick curled into the net under a series of challenges, Hungerford looked well on course for the points.

They settled for those after that goal, albeit living dangerously at times with Reid blocking a shot from team-mate Dayle Grubb when in an offside position, the flag again going up against a colleague when Kington hit the bar.

But Hungerford shored up and for a minute or two topped the table until the final whistle at Gloucester where Truro toppled them.

Hungerford Town: Ward; Tyler, Partridge, Day, Stonehouse; Williams, Herring, Gnamvoulou, Willmoth (Rees 69); Soares (Bentley 65), Brown (Clark 77), Subs: Meechan, Lawrence.

Weston-Super-Mare: Purnell; Harper, Baldwin, Pope, Greenslade; Collins, Kington, Lee, Plummer (Reid 56); Seymour (Welch 81), Grubb. Subs: Laird, Mawford, Hill.

Referee: Wayne Cartmel (Bedford). Attendance: 370.


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More