Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Melledew leaves Newbury FC

More news, no ads


Chairman, Ian Passey issued the following brief press statement: "The club announces that Steve Melledew has formally left the club.
"Craig Adey has been handed the role of caretaker manager for the foreseeable future, assisted by Roy Hanley.
"Keith Moss will be manager of the reserves, assisted by Mark Foad.
"The club will be looking to proceed, thus ending speculation over the club’s future.
"Several sponsorship deals are being sought to establish Newbury in the Premier division of the Hellenic league."
Meanwhile, Newbury must learn that there are going to be no easy games in the Premier division of the Hellenic league.
They certainly got a clue at Faraday Road on Tuesday evening, as their visitors took all three points, and deservedly so.
Following the exit from the FA Cup on Saturday (see today's NWN for full report), the team showed two changes. Mark James was out with an injury, and Darren Jones started on the bench, with Jamie Green returning up front, and Simon Care slotting into midfield. Cheltenham are a big physical team, resolute in defence and quick in attack. Just six minutes had elapsed, when Andy Bayliss pulled off a wonder save from Jack Oldham as the visitors took the game to Newbury.
On 16 minutes, Ray Spence ran clear down the left, and his shot was headed off the line by a defender. Nine minutes later, Callum Willmoth ran at the defence and his cross was hacked away by Mike Oliver.
Oldham picked up a caution for dissent from referee Paul Day on 27 minutes, before Carl Jenner came to Newbury’s rescue, heading a shot from Pat Sayce off the line.
On 33 minutes, an incredible miss by Jamie Hammond, from five yards, saved Newbury’s blushes,but two minutes later, the burly striker ran from almost halfway, past several tackles, to score with a crisp drive from 15 yards.
Bayliss saved two more goalbound efforts as the half came towards a close.
Seconds before the break, Newbury equalised. Barry Elmore won a corner on the right and his pinpoint cross found Jenner, whose powerful header beat keeper Jim Griffiths.
Two minutes after the break, Jamie Green headed a cross from Spence into the net, but was flagged offside, and another effort, shortly after, brought a save from Griffiths.
On 55 minutes, a quick break by Hammond saw him run into the area, but he could only watch as his lob hit the far upright.
A raft of substitutions by both sides interrupted play on the hour, with Jones coming on for Collins for the home side, as Craig Adey looked to change his attacking options. This nearly paid immediate dividends as Willmoth received a pass and set off on a powerful run into the penalty area, and with just keeper to beat, poked the ball the wrong side of the post.
The miss proved costly, as Cheltenham introduced substitute Josh Swales, and following a deep cross from the right, he swept the ball into the net from an acute angle at the far post on 78 minutes.
Chris Lavisher came on for Newbury and with his first touch collected a booking. Lavisher tried to make amends on 86 minutes, but lobbed the ball over the bar.
So, a bitter defeat ahead of Saturday’s trip to Flackwell Heath, in what promises to be another tough fixture.
Team: Bayliss, McCready, Peters, Jenner, Sadler, Care, Elmore, Willmoth, Spence, Green, Collins. Subs: Jones, Lavisher, Miller, Pearce, Panting.
Referee: Paul Day (RAF Lynham).
Att. 61

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More