go

Padworth man taken to hospital with burns after field fire

Firefighters provide first aid until ambulance arrives

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

49-0106p-Young-Firefighters

A Padworth man has been taken to hospital this evening (Sun), after firefighters discovered he had fallen in a field fire.

One fire engine from Dee Road Fire Station and a second from Whitley Wood were called at 5.30pm to a field fire in Padworth Lane, where silage was alight, which had set fire to a hedge and was licking at a crop in a neighbouring field.

Whilst tackling the blaze, using hosereels, firefighters discovered the man, believed to be the farmer, who had collapsed in the field, whilst he had been trying to put out the fire.

Firefighters provided First Aid at the scene for the man's burns, until paramedics arrived.

South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) spokesperson, Gill Hodgetts, said ambulance services were called at 17.77pm, and a 78-year-old man was taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, with fairly severe burns.

Firefighters left the scene at 6.30pm, with the cause of the fire recorded as accidental, following a bonfire which got out of control.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Firefighters called to chimney fire at Upper Woolhampton school
News

Firefighters called to chimney fire at Upper Woolhampton school

Further Newbury call to remove loose tiles from roof of flats

 
Newbury town centre road re-opened after car fire
News

Newbury town centre road re-opened after car fire

Minor blaze due to mechanical fault

 
News

New delivery franchise launches in Newbury and Thatcham

 
News

Calls for better recycling in West Berkshire

 
News

Months of delays added to West Berkshire waste wars resolution

2comments