go

Wooden spoon causes Newbury dishwasher fire

One person evacuated from house

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

fire engine_newbury

A WOODEN spoon in a dish washer caused a fire in the kitchen of a Newbury house yesterday (Wed) evening.

Two pumps were called at 10pm from Newbury Fire Station to an end of terrace house in Jubilee Road, where a dishwasher was on fire.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a hosereel.

The cause was due to a wooden spoon which caught on the heating appliance inside the dishwasher and caught fire, according to firefighters.

One person in the property was evacuated, after having isolated the power, closing the kitchen door and then telephoning the emergency services.

Very little damage was caused to the kitchen.

Firefighters left the scene after around half an hour.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Bad planning has led to more traffic congestion around Newbury, says new report
News

Bad planning has led to more traffic congestion around Newbury, says new report

National report blasts wasted opportunity to ease pressure after bypass was built

 
Work on West Berkshire Community Hospital's new cancer unit set to start
News

Work on West Berkshire Community Hospital's new cancer unit set to start

“This is a much-needed project for the community and will be heavily used"

 
News

It's a dream come true for Imogen

 
News

Police urge West Berkshire residents to remain vigilant following Manchester attack

 
News

West Berkshire stands with Manchester