go

Houses in Greenham and Donnington struck by lightning

Chimney pot and television aerial affected

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

Houses in Greenham and Donnington struck by lightning

HOUSES in both Greenham and Donnington were struck by lightning this afternoon (Tuesday), which blew a chimney pot apart and struck a television aerial.

One pump from Newbury Fire Station and an aerial appliance from Reading were called at 3.40pm to a three storey house in Sandleford Lane, Greenham, after lightning struck the chimney pot.

Firefighters discovered debris from the chimney pot in gardens neighbouring the property and the remaining chimney pot in a precarious position.

No-one was hurt.

Firefighters utilised the aerial appliance to reach and remove the chimney pot.

The road was closed during the incident and firefighters departed after 20 minutes.

In the second incident, one pump was called from Newbury Fire Station at around 4pm, to a semi detached house in Dene Way, in Donnington, to a reported electrical fire.

On arrival, firefighters discovered lightning had struck and blown the television aerial.

The family, including two children, were shaken, but unhurt, after hearing a loud bang, with sparks issuing from the television.

Firefighters isolated the power and advised the occupants to have the equipment checked by an electrician, before leaving the scene at 5pm.

PHOTOGRAPH: ROYAL BERKSHIRE FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Residents provided flood advice ahead of winter
News

Residents provided flood advice ahead of winter

Pang Valley Flood Forum holds flood fair

 
Village sub saved from extinction
News

Village pub saved from extinction

Chaddleworth's Ibex Inn re-opens

 
All Districts

Bid for 199 homes comes under fire

 
News

Thatcham dealers sentenced to seven years behind bars

 
News

Aldermaston photographer captures image of new high speed train

2comments