go

Newbury firefighters attend garage fire

Cooker wired up in garage accidental cause

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

49-0106p-Young-Firefighters

A COOKER wired up in a Newbury garage was discovered to be the source of smoke yesterday (Sunday) evening.

Two fire engines from Newbury Fire Station were called at 9pm to Monks Lane, after a family living in a detached house alerted emergency services, after spotting smoke coming from under the garage door.

Firefighters opened the garage door to discover a plastic bowl containing plastic cups and spoons on fire, placed on top of a cooker wired up temporarily in the garage, and which had accidentally been switched on.

Firefighters removed the items from the cooker and cleared the smoke using a high pressure ventilation fan.

Firefighters advised the householders to ensure the cooker was turned off, before leaving the scene after 20 minutes, 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Hi-tech thieves target motorists at Berkshire service stations
News

Hi-tech thieves target motorists at Berkshire service stations

Drivers warned to manually check vehicle doors are locked following thefts at Chieveley services

1comment

 
Lib Dems victorious in Greenham by-election
News

Lib Dems victorious in Greenham by-election

Candidates elected on just over 10% turn out

2comments

 
News

Plans for late-night alcohol delivery service withdrawn at the last minute

4comments

 
News

Racecourse to hold talks with Hennessy over extending sponsorship

 
News

Kennet School pupils are champion citizens