go

Grass fire in Victoria Park extinguished

Firefighters warn not to throw down inflammable items

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

Victoria Park

A GRASS fire yesterday (Mon) evening in Victoria Park has been put down to an accidental cause.

Firefighters were called at 8.30pm to a small grass fire beside the well known lion statue in the park.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze with a bucket of water before leaving after around ten minutes.

Firefighters have issued advice not to discard inflammable items, such as cigarettes, or glass bottles, which can start a blaze in strong sunlight and especially given the current dry summer conditions, creating tinderbox conditions in grass and heathland. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

Article comments

  • DonCossack

    09/08/2016 - 23:11

    Was watching the kids in this spot from a balcony in Parkway, left at approx 8pm but the ones there half hour beforehand looked to be possibly smoking weed and listening to shit music.

    Reply

  • NewburyGirl

    09/08/2016 - 19:07

    How old is this picture? For goodness sake, Newbury Today, lets at least have a "post Standard Life" photo!

    Reply

News

Event for Thatcham residents to discuss crime with police
Thatcham

Event for Thatcham residents to discuss crime with police

Police to launch community forum

 
Driving bans for two men following dangerous manoeuvres on A34 near Newbury
News

Driving bans for two men following dangerous manoeuvres on A34 near Newbury

"This kind of driving will not be tolerated," says investigating officer

3comments

 
News

Legion prepares for Poppy Appeal

 
News

Newbury in Bloom awards blossoms in its second year

 
News

Crooked lodger stole thousands from vulnerable fellow tenants