go

Grass fire in Victoria Park extinguished

Firefighters warn not to throw down inflammable items

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Email:

jane.meredith@newburynews.co.uk

Contact:

01635 886637

Victoria Park

A GRASS fire yesterday (Mon) evening in Victoria Park has been put down to an accidental cause.

Firefighters were called at 8.30pm to a small grass fire beside the well known lion statue in the park.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze with a bucket of water before leaving after around ten minutes.

Firefighters have issued advice not to discard inflammable items, such as cigarettes, or glass bottles, which can start a blaze in strong sunlight and especially given the current dry summer conditions, creating tinderbox conditions in grass and heathland. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

Article comments

  • DonCossack

    09/08/2016 - 23:11

    Was watching the kids in this spot from a balcony in Parkway, left at approx 8pm but the ones there half hour beforehand looked to be possibly smoking weed and listening to shit music.

    Reply

  • NewburyGirl

    09/08/2016 - 19:07

    How old is this picture? For goodness sake, Newbury Today, lets at least have a "post Standard Life" photo!

    Reply

News

Fire Station to be a community hub
All Districts

Fire Station to be a community hub

Police desk and meeting room included in the plans for Church Street building

 
What makes people in West Berkshire so happy?
News

What makes people in West Berkshire so happy?

New statistics reveal West Berkshire residents are the most satisfied in the county

1comment

 
News

Turnpike motorbike blaze suspected arson

 
News

Shaw residents to forge links with Ghanaian village