go

Sunlight reflecting on vanity mirror sets curtains alight

Bedroom badly damaged in Newbury house fire

Jane Meredith

Reporter:

Jane Meredith

Contact:

01635 886637

Sunlight reflecting on vanity mirror sets curtains alight

A NEWBURY house fire this morning (Tues) was caused by a vanity mirror placed in a window reflecting sunlight, which set curtains alight.

Two pumps from Newbury fire station were called at 11am to a mid terraced house in Berkeley Road.

No-one was in the property, emergency services were alerted by a neighbour who heard smoke alarms sounding.

Firefighters discovered a bedroom fire, extinguished by two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus using a hosereel jet.

The bedroom was 30 per cent damaged in the fire and the house smoke-logged.

Firefighters used high pressure fans to dispense the smoke, before leaving the scene at 12.30pm.

A crew manager at the scene has issued a warning to not put any mirrors. or glass objects, in windows, as these are likely to reflect sunlight and start a fire. Low sun currently increases the risk. 

Photograph Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Newbury Weekly News

Characters left: 1000

News

Arthur Daly's coat and trilby fetch £12,000 at Newbury auction
News

Arthur Daley's coat and trilby fetch £12,000 at Newbury auction

Snapped up by fan of Minder television series

1comment

 
Inquest opens into Burghfield schoolboy's death
News

Inquest opens into death of Burghfield schoolboy

10-year-old was killed after Topshop barrier fell on him at the Oracle

 
News

Storm Doris hits West Berkshire

1comment

 
News

Drivers' lucky escape after M4 multi-vehicle collision

 
News

One lane re-opened M4 Swindon to Chippenham after lorry transporter blaze