Newbury News Ltd. Print-Digital-Social

West Berkshire for Europe to march for people's vote tomorrow (Saturday)

"We are calling for a people’s vote on the final deal"

John Herring

John Herring

john.herring@newburynews.co.uk

West Berkshire locals march for People's Vote

PEOPLE from West Berkshire will be marching in London on Saturday to call for a people’s vote on a final Brexit deal.

West Berkshire For Europe (formerly West Berkshire Stronger Together) will be joining thousands of other campaigners asking for another referendum on any agreed deal.

Group spokesman Peter Norman said that a much larger contingent from West Berkshire was expected than the 100 people who attended the last rally.

Mr Norman said: “We are calling for a people’s vote on the final deal.

Despite what Richard Benyon says, the Withdrawal Agreement is not a deal.

“It takes us into a period of two years where we try to negotiate a deal.

“We could still end up under the Withdrawal Agreement in a situation where we are in the exact same position.”

On speaker John Bercow’s decision to not have a third meaningful vote on Theresa May’s deal, which has twice been heavily defeated in the Commons, Mr Norman said: “I think that’s absolutely right.

“I can’t see how Parliament can be presented with the same thing without any changes. It’s an unprecedented abuse of parliamentary privilege.

“I think the majority of the country, whether they voted Leave or Remain, is against the Withdrawal Agreement because it takes away our representation in the EU, but still has us subject to EU regulation.

“It’s an unbelievable mess.

“A decisive majority in Parliament can be overruled, but a slim majority of the people is taken as God given and there can be no change.”

The group will be meeting at Newbury station at 9.45am and people who want to attend can meet there or contact the West Berkshire For Europe Facebook page.

Meanwhile, a petition to revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU has received 2,687,402 signatures.

Newbury constituency accounts for 6,702 of these (6.14 per cent of the 109,155 constituents).

• NWNThatcham

24/03/2019 - 18:06

Over 5 million people have signed a petition to stop Brexit, 10,000 people from West Berkshire alone. Over 1 million people turned up to protest in London. A legally binding confirmatory vote (unlike the advisory referendum) is the only way out of this mess. It gives the Leave voters the change to confirm the PM deal and Leave if they still wish, and would enable the country to move forward fully informed of the consequence.

• jterrier

22/03/2019 - 19:07

Leavers; "cut my throat, go on, just do it, I INSIST that you slash my throat on the 29th because you promised me something else which turned out to be a whopping lie and in actual fact really meant you were going to cut my throat and kill me... But I cant back down now, so go on - cut my throat, because democracy. Please."

• wayne

22/03/2019 - 20:08

Loony

• NewburyLad

22/03/2019 - 12:12

We made our decision to leave in June 2016. Kindly show respect to us voters who were in the majority because your actions ever since that result have been highly offensive to half the population of the United Kingdom.

22/03/2019 - 14:02

You're right again NewburyLad. Leave means leave right! The trouble is I feel a bit conflicted because, you know, I believed Daniel Hannan when he said that no one was talking about leaving the single market because like Owen Paterson said only a madman would do that. Do I believe Owen when he says that 4.5m jobs rely on the single market. I'd feel a bit bad about people losing their jobs but I don't want to look like a mug if I changed my mind. I liken it to: recently, rather than listen to my Doctor I consulted the surgery waiting room and they voted that to fix my sprained ankle I cut off my leg. I am now wondering whether an icepack and some Ibruprofen may have been better, but decision made.

• NewburyLad

22/03/2019 - 17:05

EugeneStryker - you don't care for mine or any of the the other 17 million people's opinions, so quite rightly, I don't really care for your ramblings based on swallowing propaganda guff. France's economy is slumping again, along with Germany's and Italy's. But no, you'd rather keep Britain's economy wedded to the failing EU countries economies. You and your fellow Lib Dem and Remoaners are the biggest danger to UK jobs and the UK's economy.

22/03/2019 - 19:07

This time you're wrong. I am fascinated by your opinion on the economics of Brexit, especially understanding why you know more than the 12 Nobel Laureates and 175 UK economists who signed a letter against leave and the 9 out of 10 professional economists who think Brexit will hurt the economy and jobs.

• Approveds

22/03/2019 - 11:11

If we had another referendum, the £9 million on leaflets to every home will be advising us to leave the EU this time, rather that remain, as they did last time.

Show more comments